Vase Envy: Guest Party Highlight
Thursday, April 1, 2010
This sweet little project was linked up to the party last week from Kat at Black Kat's Design I love the idea of it and wanted you all to see it.
I want to make one of these pretty vases from old books from Sweet Paul. There is a great tutorial here. I was especially impressed with the price tag of this little gem. The book cost me $.49 cents at the thrift store and the little knife was $1 from the Dollar Store. Cute, Thrifty, Easy -- My kind of project!
My version didn't turn out as pretty. I started out with my template, but widened it. Turns out the skinner version would have been better. (The Dilbert book makes me laugh inside. I used to work at a large corporation and swore that Scott Adams sat next to me because my office was so much like what he wrote about.)
I want to make one of these pretty vases from old books from Sweet Paul. There is a great tutorial here. I was especially impressed with the price tag of this little gem. The book cost me $.49 cents at the thrift store and the little knife was $1 from the Dollar Store. Cute, Thrifty, Easy -- My kind of project!
This is how my first attempt looked (yes first, as in multiple).I had a bit of trouble. As I cut through the layers of the book I unintentionally started to angle the blade of the knife, leaving some odd angles in the middle. I took the scissors to it and cut small chunks at a time and it looked better.
On my second try I rounded the bottom corner. It still looked like a blob. On my third try I cut the top part on an angle and lopped off a chunk of book.
Here is how the final version turned out.
Still not very vase like. I had to "fluff" the book up because the pages globbed all together.
I completed two more to keep the original one company. Remember the rule, decorate in odd numbers! They aren't perfect and I can't keep the tall one glued together in back (I'll just put that side facing the wall), but I think they turned out like, well, contemporary sculptural pieces of art! Yes, I'm calling my craft project Art.
I love this! It reminds me of the recycled magazine Christmas tree tutorial. Thanks Kat for linking to the party. I may have to try this.


0 comments:
Post a Comment